18 May 2007

Lenses

I need to relearn this...
My relationship with God is not where either one of us want it to be, and I have to take full responsibility of that.

A hard lesson is how to listen to God.

So often people take this is a New Age way of emptying your mind. Intellects call it a "crutch" or a "blindness," and people of Eastern religions call it "fake." They are both right. We are not called to be empty headed. The God of intellect, reason, and imagination is OUR God. We are very much called to be engaged in our world, but through the point of view of Christ.

One "spiritual practice" from last year was to take a few minutes each day to be silent. Not to be empty, but to be silent. In that silence I would recount with as much accuracy as possible what I had done the past twenty-four hours, and how it was or was not glorifying to God. Amazing how much I learned by engaging my mind in a godly way! It wasn't ignoring everything, it was ordering everything under the lens of Christ's Glory.

No comments: