13 May 2007

Driftwood and the Cross

"For I determined to know nothing among you except Christ, and Him crucified." - 1 Cor. 2:2

Ideally, I would do a study through the first few chapters of First Corinthians, because it is such an amazing and challenging book of the Bible. For now though, I just want to share a little of what God has been teaching me recently.

This weekend a few friends and I went camping at Caples Lake, which is between Stockton and Carson City, NV. While we were there, we happened upon a conversation about the newest things God had been teaching us. I shared that recently a few verses from 1 Corinthians had been on my mind.

This semester has been crazy for me. It has had some of the highest highs and lowest lows. There have been times of righteous pride and I have experienced the greatest brokenness. I have shared wisdom and mistakes with dear friends, and I have had to own up to a lot of who I am and who I am not. It has been challenging to come to grips with my view of myself and my view of my relationship with God.

Because of this, I have spent the last several weeks often finding myself asking God, "How can I be more consistent? How can I be more wise? How can I be more of who you want me to be, not in my own way, but on your terms?" Again and again, God brings back to me 1 Corinthians.

When I ask, "How can I be more consistent?"
God replies, "Determine to know nothing except Christ, and Him crucified."

When I ask, "How can I be more wise?"
God answers, "Preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles foolishness, but to those who are being called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God."

And when I ask, "How can I be more of who you want me to be?"
He says, "I could not speak to you as spiritual men, but as to men of the flesh, as to infants in Christ. I gave you milk to drink, not solid food; for you were not yet able to receive it. Indeed, even now you are not yet able."

Ouch, God. That really hurt. And even ignoring God's direct rebuke to my childishness in Him, I look at the answers God gave and say, This isn't a morning devotional. This is real, and I don't even know what it means!

Usually when God speaks to me, it is pretty straightforward. Like if I say, "Yo, Yahweh, what's with that wisdom stuff?" He'll echo back something from Proverbs, something about fearing the Lord, enjoying rebuke, listening, or at least something that I can grab with my hands, turn it over and say, "Oh, I see what this needs to fit." Then start carving, planing, and laything my life so it can. But a response like, "Determine to know nothing except Christ, and Him crucified."

What does that mean?

What about the resurrection, says I? What about grace? Forgiveness? Witnessing? Sunday morning church, says I? And God replies, "Determine to know Christ crucified."
And I say, "How, Lord?"
And He answers (so faithfully!), "No man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work."

And this is the point I find myself: How can I know nothing but Christ, and Christ crucified to the point where I appear foolish to some, confusing to some, solid to others. How do I build in such a way as to receive a reward?
Sometimes I feel like a student walking through a hallway looking for a green door, but all I am wearing are green glasses. I think this is where I am wrong. Knowing nothing but Christ and Him crucified doesn't limit my vision, it expands it.

Maybe I am still too used to the the darkness, and my pupils haven't adjusted yet, because things are still a little blurry, still a little out of focus. But this I do know, and that is simply this: the prospect of knowing nothing but Christ, and Him crucified is sounding more and more exciting!


3 comments:

Nimesaidea said...

Hey guys! Please pray for me as God continues to grow me!

I am headed to Kenya this summer, and am really looking forward to some of the opportunities I'll have there. Please pray that I will be old enough to eat up the delicious things God has in store!

Also, please pray for those I care about here in the States (probably you!), as I am/will be going through a lot of change this summer. Pray that they will have patience will me as I grow, and pray that they have the strength to know when to continuing loving me as I change and to know when to back away from me for their own good or even for mine.

Thanks!

Nimesaidea said...

From Johnna (part of my family, via Urbana)

Hi Kaben,

I just read your blog, and I wanted to tell you thank
you for sharing. I was particularly touched by the
ember metaphor and the entry "Driftwood and the
Cross." Your heart comes out so much in both entries,
and I can tell you're looking for something that seems
hard to find.

I know you have a lot of questions. Who doesn't? But
I wanted to share with you something God is laying on
my heart right now, about "How can I be more
consistent? How can I be more wise? How can I be
more of who You want me to be?"

Kaben, look at John 12:24: "I tell you the truth,
unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies,
it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it
produces many seeds."

When we as Christians know nothing but Christ, it is
because we have died. We die to ourselves, and Christ
takes over our entire identity. That's why Paul says
in Galatians 2:20, "I am crucified with Christ. It is
no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me."

This is how you get more wise, Kaben. You come to the
end of yourself and let Christ be your Wisdom. This
is how you become more consistent, because Christ
comes in and uses even your weaknesses for His glory.
This is how you become who He wants you to be,
because you no longer belong to yourself. You have no
self, only Christ, who fights against your flesh to
make you His messenger.

Kaben, this e mail seems forward of me, but I couldn't
ignore it. Remember that not even Jesus belonged to
Himself. He was not His own. If you want to take off
your green glasses, the question becomes not "How can
I build?" but, "Lord, what do You want to build in
me?"

If you lay yourself on the altar, there is no limit to
what God can build. But that means that you're no
longer the builder of your own life. Are you ready
for that? Trust me, it's worth it a million times
over.

In Christ,

Johnna

P.S. I realize that e mail isn't the clearest way to
communicate, so if you'd like to talk about this more,
I'm here. God Bless.

"When you come to the end of all the light you know, and it is time to
step into the unknown, you may be sure that one of two things will
happen--either you will be given something to stand on, or you will be
taught to fly." --Edward Teller

Anonymous said...

kabey baby. Long time no hear, what is this about you going to Kenya for the summer? I suppose that, as usual, you're living the dream. Have a great time there. kiley