18 May 2007

Five Porticoes and One Lame Reason

Last night was Bible Study. I missed it for the third week in a row. First it was final projects, then final exams, and this week was new roommates. Two people moved in yesterday.

But I missed Bible Study. I asked Gen to send me what they had studied, and I got a text message last night full of Bible verse with the tag "Correlating sin and pain." I took some time today to go over the passages myself, and I believe God had a very different message for me.

In John 5:1-18, Jesus heals the lame man by the Sheep Gate at the pool of Bethesda. As I was reading this third passage from Bible Study, I said for the third time, "I've read this a million times!" But praise God that His thoughts are above our thoughts!

"Do you wish to get well?"
The sick man answered him, "Sir, I have no man to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up, but while I am coming, another steps down before me." (v. 6-7)

I am struck by this response. Jesus never asked him how it was that he wasn't yet healed. Nor was He asking how the sick man would try to become healed. He simply asked if the long-term pool-patient wanted healing.

In answering the man provides an excuse. "I couldn't do it because of something else. Once that's taken care of, I'll be set."

I read it, then realized I wasn't reading. It's what I say all the time to Christ. Everyday, in fact. I cry out to Him, "What is going on in my life?" (see "Driftwood and the Cross") and when He says, "Do you want to be healed?" I answer, "I can't make it into the water for these excellent, limiting reasons." But that's not what He asks. When He says, "Do you want wisdom?" Who am I to say, "I don't read enough books." That's not an answer, yet I answer in such a fashion on a regular basis. It's something I need to work on. When asked a question by my Lord, I ought to just answer it, eh.

The other piece of this which stands out to me is in v. 10 and 11. The Pharisees asked the healed man, "It is the Sabbath, and it is not permissible for you to carry your pallet."
But he answered them, "He who made me well was the one who said to me, 'Pick up your pallet and walk.'"

The mainstream, those who knew the law the best, they were the ones who instead of taking part in this man's community and experiencing the healing power of Christ with him chastised him for not conforming to their norms. He was out of line; either making them look bad or casting a poor light on their oh-so-important reputation, and it was unacceptable.

But I love the poignancy of the healed man's response, and I believe we as Christians can forget it's importance. "He who healed me of my infirmary was the one who commanded me so." Christ has healed us; why do we simply bow our heads to the cultural-religious norms? I am reminded of one of my favorite animated comedies, "Over the Hedge." Its a great movie, if you haven't seen it, you really should! :) Near the beginning, one of the characters, a very spunky and energetic squirrel finds the Hedge. As the eclectic group of foragers stand in awe of the size of the Hedge, they believe it to be powerful and therefore name is Steve. (Since things with names are a lot less scary, quoth the porcupine) At that moment you hear a human voice from the other side say, "Come over here, young man!" And the squirrel hangs his head and says, "Okay." And begins walking towards the Hedge.

I see the similarity to myself. Yet the healed man stands firm, knowing that despite the clout of the challengers, the one who healed him commanded him, and He is greater and for no other reason (though there are many) than His healing ability, He is worth obeying.

Cool stuff.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for that. I was just browsing and came accross your site. Powerful stuff.

It's so interesting how we make up excuses for our distance from God. We say the timing isn't right, or, once we have ________ done, we can give our time to God. Since when did God shrink to fit that little slice of time we give Him?

God Bless,

Monica